What is the extent of the problem?
– An overview of the issue facing Minnesota enforcement agencies – MCPA Staff
How did we get here?
– A history of the Mental Health system – National Alliance on Mental Illness – Sue Abderholden, Executive Director
What is it like to get through it?
– A personal perspective on living with mental illness from Ken Barlow of KSTP 5 Eyewitness News
What are we doing today?
- Law Enforcement Models
Where do we go from here: A panel discussion centered on solutions
- Embedded social workers – Chief Mike Tusken, Duluth Police Department
- Minneapolis Police Co-Responder Project – Inspector Kathy Waite
- Dispatch Triage – Brian Theine, Crisis Program Manager, Adult Mental Health Ramsey County
- Crisis Intervention Training (CIT) – Chief Jeff Tate, Shakopee Police Department
Takeaways and final thoughts
- Legislative – Rep. Nick Zerwas (R) Elk River
- Pre-Service Education – Mary Vukelich, Century College
- Training options – Nathan Gove, Minnesota POST Board
- Mental Health Advocacy – Sue Abderholden, Executive Director, NAMI
- Practitioners – Dr. Michelle K. Murray, Chief Clinical Officer, Nexus